Xossip

Go Back Xossip > Technology> Technical Help & Tutorials > Due to old seagate HD Win 10 is not able to boot/load

Old 17th March 2017

anupsuk30 has received several accoladesanupsuk30 has received several accoladesanupsuk30 has received several accolades
UL: 28.77 gb DL: 44.44 gb Ratio: 0.65
Due to old seagate HD Win 10 is not able to boot/load

Dear Friends i had old PC with XP as its OS.Recently i updated it to Win 10.I discared /changed all parts except my old seagate 250GB(internal) harddisk.I also bought new wmd 1TB hard disk and formed my pc with new os installed new wmd harddisk.I also used my old hardish in new configured PC.I had flushed/deleted out old XP OS folders/files which was present in its c drive. All was working fine i was able to read/write files on it. then one day i do not whether win10 was automaticaaly updated or there was un expected/forced shudown I donot know but next time when i tried to start my PC it wont start or say win 10 didnt booted/loaded.I got error "inaccesible_boot_device".Also during advance troubleshooting when i tried to reapir voulmes of disk commander i got error "the request failed due to a fatal device error".On some one suggestion i removed my old hd and my PC started to worked perfectly.I gave my old hd to one of my friend to check .he tried with his win 10 pc.same issue.but when he tried to attche my HD in his win 7 pc , he was able to acces files/folders present in my old HD.I took backup of everything post which he formatted my old HD and once again i tried to use in my pc but again same issue.can some one tell me whether my old HD is working properly or not or there is any issue with it.And if there is any issue how to troubleshoot/solve issue.I donot want to loose my old disk as i think its in working order.I am not tech person so if you provide any tip provide it with propers steps.Its humble request.My old HD its out of waranty so can i submit it to service center would they able to pinpoint issue/provide solution.IF aby body wants some knid of log then do tell it would try to upload it.Presently Old hd discconected and kept outside of my PC.

Win 10 pro is OS

Thanks and Regards
Anup

Old 17th March 2017

zigzageight is beginning to get noticed
When you are connecting two hard disks in a system,it will work fine when the speed and performance of both the hard disks are matching and fast enough. Windows XP and windows 7 are stable operating system so it will manage to load the contents of both the disks even if it is more or less mismatching. Windows 8/8.1/10 wont allow to load the even OS if the slave hard disk performance mismatches(due to bad sectors or health of the hard disk is not good compared with 1TB) with Bootable Master hard disk as win 8/8.1/10 are all very light and unstable windows versions compared to win XP and win 7.
Just connect your old hard disk to windows 7 loaded system and install software's like HDDLIFe or HDD health.It will show the Health, performance and speed of your old hard disk as well as your OS installed hard disk.You can come to a conclusion after seeing that.

If you still want to use your old desktop hard disk in windows 10 system,just get a 3.5 sata casing(nearly Rs.500-700) for that hard disk.It will convert your old hard disk in to a External hard disk with USB option and separate power adapter for powering it. so you can connect it using USB port to your windows 10 system.It wont affect your Windows 10 Loading as you are going to connect it externally.

Last edited by zigzageight : 17th March 2017 at 10:50 AM.

Old 17th March 2017

anupsuk30 has received several accoladesanupsuk30 has received several accoladesanupsuk30 has received several accolades
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzageight View Post
When you are connecting two hard disks in a system,it will work fine when the speed and performance of both the hard disks are matching and fast enough. Windows XP and windows 7 are stable operating system so it will manage to load the contents of both the disks even if it is more or less mismatching. Windows 8/8.1/10 wont allow to load the even OS if the slave hard disk performance mismatches(due to bad sectors or health of the hard disk is not good compared with 1TB) with Bootable Master hard disk as win 8/8.1/10 are all very light and unstable windows versions compared to win XP and win 7.
Just connect your old hard disk to windows 7 loaded system and install software's like HDDLIFe or HDD health.It will show the Health, performance and speed of your old hard disk as well as your OS installed hard disk.You can come to a conclusion after seeing that.

If you still want to use your old desktop hard disk in windows 10 system,just get a 3.5 sata casing(nearly Rs.500-700) for that hard disk.It will convert your old hard disk in to a External hard disk with USB option and separate power adapter for powering it. so you can connect it using USB port to your windows 10 system.It wont affect your Windows 10 Loading as you are going to connect it externally.
Hi thanks for your reply but i want to check whether it is working propely or not(i donot know it)

second thigh my upgraded system was working properly for few days with both old and new hdd connected together

the thing is that i want still to use my old hdd as internal disk in my new upgraded system

Old 17th March 2017

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupsuk30 View Post
Hi thanks for your reply but i want to check whether it is working propely or not(i donot know it)

second thigh my upgraded system was working properly for few days with both old and new hdd connected together

the thing is that i want still to use my old hdd as internal disk in my new upgraded system
To check if its proper working you have to connect it in system that has win 7 or xp.check if its getting detected and shows all partitions and files. Better option if you connect it as externally using SATA connector. you can find if its getting detected showing partitions in "my computer" or disk management.

As longs as RPM speed of the 2 hard disks are good and smooth, any OS will detect both and try to load it. RPM (revolutions per minute) of your new hard disk will be 5400RPM. suppose if u can hear a cracking sound inside your old hard disk(its faulty) then RPM of that hard disk will be very lesser which in turn will affect your new 1 TB hard disk (which is running smooth) making it not allowing to boot the OS. if you remove the old hard disk,then 1 TB hard disk will boot and load windows.

Windows 8/10 are more sensitive in this compared to win 7 and XP.if the hard disk RPM is not up to the mark it will detect it as faulty and nothing will load.Using a old hard disk with lesser RPM with a new one will affect the performance of other.your new hard disk also get affected gradually.

To check the RPM of the hard disk i suggested some software.install it and check.just listen the rotation of the both the hard disk.1 TB hard disk rotation and running of the disk motor will be smooth.Older one may be making some cracking noise.if thats the case better not use it together.Also this tools help you to confirm the speed health and performance status of both hard disk.

Last edited by zigzageight : 17th March 2017 at 12:25 PM.

Old 17th March 2017

Quote:
To check if its proper working you have to connect it in system that has win 7 or xp.check if its getting detected and shows all partitions and files. Better option if you connect it as externally using SATA connector. you can find if its getting detected showing partitions in "my computer" or disk management.

As longs as RPM speed of the 2 hard disks are good and smooth, any OS will detect both and try to load it. RPM (revolutions per minute) of your new hard disk will be 5400RPM. suppose if u can hear a cracking sound inside your old hard disk(its faulty) then RPM of that hard disk will be very lesser which in turn will affect your new 1 TB hard disk (which is running smooth) making it not allowing to boot the OS. if you remove the old hard disk,then 1 TB hard disk will boot and load windows.

Windows 8/10 are more sensitive in this compared to win 7 and XP.if the hard disk RPM is not up to the mark it will detect it as faulty and nothing will load.Using a old hard disk with lesser RPM with a new one will affect the performance of other.your new hard disk also get affected gradually.

To check the RPM of the hard disk i suggested some software.install it and check.just listen the rotation of the both the hard disk.1 TB hard disk rotation and running of the disk motor will be smooth.Older one may be making some cracking noise.if thats the case better not use it together.Also this tools help you to confirm the speed health and performance status of both hard disk.

how do i coonect my old hdd as "externally using SATA connector." can you provide link ??? can i use in my new upgraded pc with win10 ????

And which s/w you are talking about ???

Is necessaty to both hdd be of same comapany ?? model ??

Old 17th March 2017

Thumbs up

Quote:
how do i coonect my old hdd as "externally using SATA connector." can you provide link ??? can i use in my new upgraded pc with win10 ????

And which s/w you are talking about ???

Is necessaty to both hdd be of same comapany ?? model ??
Search for "3.5 external sata hard drive enclosure".

you can connect it as secondary slave hard disk in your system but if your old hard disk is faulty it wont let your windows 10 to load.Thats why am asking you to connect it as secondary in windows 7 or winxp system

Lot of softwares are there HDD life,HDD health to check health and speed.

No need for hard disks to be of same company as long as both are good and healthy. Even old and new healthy hard disks of any brand it will work.

Old 17th March 2017

Quote:

you can connect it as secondary slave hard disk in your system but if your old hard disk is faulty it wont let your windows 10 to load.Thats why am asking you to connect it as secondary in windows 7 or winxp system

No need for hard disks to be of same company as long as both are good and healthy. Even old and new healthy hard disks of any brand it will work.
Hi thanks for reply can you tell why win10 won't load.does I have to connect hdd as external HDD once PC started or I have to connect it before I start my PC .I mean to say just like we plug pendrive I have to connect my old hdd with help of sata external setup after PC /win is is loaded

Old 17th March 2017

Thumbs up

Quote:
Hi thanks for reply can you tell why win10 won't load.does I have to connect hdd as external HDD once PC started or I have to connect it before I start my PC .I mean to say just like we plug pendrive I have to connect my old hdd with help of sata external setup after PC /win is is loaded
yes..just like pen drive.Connect it and see if it loads your files and partitions.if so then backup any important datas. if needed try to format it and check for its speed health and performance.

Old 18th March 2017

Quote:

Ok i will try to do that as you said but can i yell me why then PC initially worked perfectly for few days(around 1 month).

I mean to say for 1 moths win 10 was able to booth when both new and old hhd was connected in system

Suddenly one day i donot know whether was there any win 10 update and if there was force shutdown that led to this issue

Old 18th March 2017

Thumbs up

Quote:
Ok i will try to do that as you said but can i yell me why then PC initially worked perfectly for few days(around 1 month).

I mean to say for 1 moths win 10 was able to booth when both new and old hhd was connected in system

Suddenly one day i do not know whether was there any win 10 update and if there was force shutdown that led to this issue
Electronics items no one can tell when it will fail actually.when a brand new hard disk can fail within 2 months then what to say about a hard disk thats been idle for months and all of a sudden subjected to run all time.It might have lost lost its ability in this process. other than that hard disks are shock sensitive. if you drop a external hard disk from your hand accidentally then 50% are the chances of it working fine. If you let your desktop turn off abruptly without shutting down for few days then the hard disk speed and health will be reduced. your old hard disk should have been in that state of health that what was working fine for few days failed slowly.