Xossip

Go Back Xossip > Technology> Technical Help & Tutorials > Help on HDD health - ~300 bad sectors

Old 5th February 2017
Requiescat In Pace

mst_i has received several accoladesmst_i has received several accoladesmst_i has received several accoladesmst_i has received several accolades
UL: 3.89 gb DL: 3.34 gb Ratio: 1.16
Exclamation Help on HDD health - ~300 bad sectors

Greetings,

Below are the screenshots from Hard disk sentinel. I've already taken the backup of all important data. Some other points:

1. Since last 3-4 weeks, videos freeze and start running after 5-7 seconds of delay (sometimes even more); same is seen while music playing too

2. Random system freezes, though for only about 1-2 seconds

3. Tried seatools for windows and after completing fix all long, it says all ok, yet the HDD sentinel does show a steady increase in bad sectors and video/audio freeze continues.

Please could anyone suggest if my hard drive is going to die soon and should I replace it?

Thank you.

Old 5th February 2017
My Name is BOND !!
Visit my website
  Councillor: Council Member      
AgentBond has celebrities hunting for his/her autographAgentBond has celebrities hunting for his/her autographAgentBond has celebrities hunting for his/her autographAgentBond has celebrities hunting for his/her autographAgentBond has celebrities hunting for his/her autographAgentBond has celebrities hunting for his/her autographAgentBond has celebrities hunting for his/her autograph
Please replace it soon. I lost two hard drives because of bad sector

Old 5th February 2017

sahil16 is beginning to get noticed
UL: 2.57 gb DL: 30.96 gb Ratio: 0.08
how did you got to know about bad sectors? explain steps and helping software. hope not using malware?

Old 5th February 2017
My Name is BOND !!
Visit my website
AgentBond has celebrities hunting for his/her autographAgentBond has celebrities hunting for his/her autographAgentBond has celebrities hunting for his/her autographAgentBond has celebrities hunting for his/her autographAgentBond has celebrities hunting for his/her autographAgentBond has celebrities hunting for his/her autographAgentBond has celebrities hunting for his/her autograph
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil16 View Post
how did you got to know about bad sectors? explain steps and helping software. hope not using malware?

You can check using command line.

Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog box.

Type the following text, and then press Enter.

Quote:
cmd
Type the drive letter of the drive you want to check (followed by a colon), and then press Enter. For example, type the following text to check drive D.

Quote:
d:
Change to the root directory of the drive by typing the following text and pressing Enter.

Quote:
cd\

Quote:
chkdsk /<switch>
where <switch> is one of the following:

If you want to automatically repair file system errors, use the /f switch (for example, chkdsk /f).

If you want to both repair file system errors and scan for and recover bad sectors, use the /r switch (for example, chkdsk /r).

If you do not specify a switch when you run CHKDSK, any errors that are found are not fixed.

Last edited by AgentBond : 5th February 2017 at 04:26 PM.

Old 6th February 2017
Requiescat In Pace

mst_i has received several accoladesmst_i has received several accoladesmst_i has received several accoladesmst_i has received several accolades
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentBond View Post
Please replace it soon. I lost two hard drives because of bad sector
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil16 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentBond View Post
You can check using command line.

Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog box.

Type the drive letter of the drive you want to check (followed by a colon), and then press Enter. For example, type the following text to check drive D.

Change to the root directory of the drive by typing the following text and pressing Enter.

where <switch> is one of the following:

If you want to automatically repair file system errors, use the /f switch (for example, chkdsk /f).

If you want to both repair file system errors and scan for and recover bad sectors, use the /r switch (for example, chkdsk /r).

If you do not specify a switch when you run CHKDSK, any errors that are found are not fixed.
Hi, thank you both for the reply . I've attached 2 screenshots of hard disk reports in my original post from a tool called HDD Sentinel, is it not visible? It shows the detailed hard drive health status.

Old 8th February 2017
Requiescat In Pace

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mst_i View Post
Hi, thank you both for the reply . I've attached 2 screenshots of hard disk reports in my original post from a tool called HDD Sentinel, is it not visible? It shows the detailed hard drive health status.
Hi, can someone please help further.

Old 8th February 2017

zigzageight is beginning to get noticed
Thumbs up

Replacing your hard disk is the only option.

Old 11th February 2017
Requiescat In Pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzageight View Post
Replacing your hard disk is the only option.

Ok, thank you.

Mod(s) may please close this thread.

Last edited by mst_i : 11th February 2017 at 09:13 AM.

Old 11th February 2017
My Name is BOND !!
Visit my website
One more thing. This hard disk is not useless.

That is you need a fresh hard disk for booting. And this one can be used as secondary storage. ( Do not store important datas )